Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Friday, December 16, 2011

Funeral Card Friday: Thomas Ling 1812-1879

Affliction sore, long time I bore,
Physicians were in vain' 
till God did please, to give me ease,
And free me from my pain


The 1861 England Census shows Thomas Ling, 48, locksmith, with wife Jane Ling, 47 living in  Wolverhampton, Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, England.  They had six children living at home with them:  Thomas, 22; George, 20; Eli, 18; John, 14; James, 11; and Harriet, 9.  Since Thomas died in 1879 I thought I should look at the 1881 census.  If Thomas does not appear with his family, there is probably a good chance that he is the Thomas Ling who died in 1879.

Sure enough, in the 1881 England Census, Jane Ling is now listed as widowed, and is the head of the family.  Her children John, James, Harriet, and a son, Charles, 17, are living at home.

Thomas Ling is listed in the England & Wales, Free BMD Death Index, 1837-1915, with matching information to the funeral card.  It would be very helpful to obtain a copy of the parish death record to confirm that we have attributed Thomas Ling to the correct family.  I think it is a match but it's always best to try and find irrefutable proof.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment